Pages

Pages



8 Jun 2014

Book Review: Thanks For The Memories by Cecelia Ahern

Finally being done with my thesis, I was very excited to be having free time again to read all those classic novels on my Kindle that I never had time to read before. But it appeared that writing the paper drained my brain out completely and utterly. So Thanks For The Memories by Cecelia Ahern turned up just in time.

This books is nothing special. I read it in a Russian edition in an embarrassing romantic cover with two kissing sweethearts. I didn't care. What I cared about was the plot that allowed me to follow the story and not to take part in it, to live with the characters and not to feel for them - not to suffer for them, not to empathize with them, not even to think about them too much. The story is exciting and challenging just enough not to be considered difficult or boring. And sometimes every reader needs to just scratch on the surface, enjoy an easy, even plain, style of writing, and take some delight in silly fairy-tale sweetnesses.

I think there are times when our brain is so exhausted that it is in no position to be reading good literature. By good literature I mean that that keeps the reader in suspense, causes pain and joy, harrows the soul, and touches upon the very dearest and innermost thoughts and feelings. So when the reader is dead tired, such books as those by Ms. Ahern, usually considered second-rate, help to restore the needed balance in order to get back at something more serious later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design